Monday 30 September 2013

BBCHS grad Jen Porter comes home, playing at Smitty's

Jen Porter still has a circle of friends from her days of roaming the halls at Bradley-Bourbonnais Community High School that she keeps in close contact with.

It's hard to believe the talented singer-songwriter, who made a name for herself in the Chicago music scene, has never been back to play in her hometown. That will change Saturday night.

"My classmate, Jay Smith, has always asked me to play here," said Porter when reached in Chicago by phone last week. "I told him, 'If you find me a gig to play, I'll be there.'"

The much-traveled Porter, a 1993 BBCHS grad, will bring her energetic piano-based rock show to Smitty's Bar, 1098 W. Station St., Kankakee, from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday.

"It's been many years since I've lived there, but I'm excited about coming back," Porter said.

Smith was more than happy to accommodate Porter with a venue to play after he heard through a mutual friend who reached out on Facebook that she was going to be in town this weekend.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment