Thursday 29 August 2013

Dimitrios Kalantzis: Early school dismissals ... and the livin' is easy

Dimitrios Kalantzis: Early school dismissals ... and the livin' is easy

The Daily Journal finally got me. Never mind that for the nearly four years I've been here I've been privy to the April Fool's joke before it hit the paper. But this time they finally got me.

On Monday, we ran a story about local school districts dismissing students early because of excessive heat.

I didn't even know there was excessive heat this week.

And April is eight months off.

Still, half-a-dozen schools are giving students a reprieve from temperatures soaring into the 90s. Do you know what classrooms, not air conditioned, feel like when it's 90 degrees? They feel like it's 90 degrees.

Like many of you, I read the comments some readers of daily-journal.com left on the story with a little bit more interest than usual.

"It's not that hot. Suck it up. Test scores suck," one regular posted. "Kids need all the school they can get!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment